Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Here we go...

The last several weeks have been eye opening for me in ways I can only partially understand at this point, but will continue to grow from and appreciate as the mile markers of my life continue to pass.

Many monumental events have occurred in my life recently, and with these events come change. One of these big changes consists of my uprooting from life in Nashville, TN and replanting in Dallas, TX. The first step in this process begins tomorrow.

Starting fresh in a new city with new people and new opportunities exhilarates me while simultaneously causing a constant swarm of butterflies in my stomach. I have never been one to set Resolutions per se, but in a strange way I feel this is my “New Years” and an opportunity to evaluate my life and gauge where I stand versus where I want to be. As I think about this, I can’t help but reflect on one of Donald Miller’s latest books, “A Million Miles in a Thousand Years”. He opens his book with this:

"If you watched a movie about a guy who wanted a Volvo and worked for years to get it, you wouldn’t cry at the end when he drove off the lot, testing the windshield wipers. You wouldn’t tell your friends you saw a beautiful movie or go home and put a record on to think about the story you’d seen. The truth is, you wouldn’t remember that movie a week later, except you’d feel robbed and want your money back. Nobody cries at the end of a movie about a guy who wants a Volvo.
But we spend years actually living those stories, and expect our lives to feel meaningful. The truth is, if what we choose to do with our lives won’t make a story meaningful, it won’t make a life meaningful either."


I am, here in my empty apartment, committing to live a life that will accumulate to a story that I am proud of. For goodness sake, we only get one of them! Donald says it well (and consequently one of my favorite quotes from his book)…

"We have to get up off the couch and turn the television off, we have to blow up the inner-tubes and head to the river. We have to write the poem and deliver it in person. We have to pull the car off the road and hike to the top of the hill. We have to put on our suits, we have to dance at weddings."

It has been two and a half weeks since I walked across a stage in front of a lot of people, wearing a bulky gown and ridiculous hat (really Рwho came up with those anyway!?!) and received an absurdly expensive piece of paper. It was a great time! Family was in town. Tests were done. Pressure was off. It is sincerely insane to me that 4 years have flown by so quickly (clich̩, I know, but so very true). I have really loved my time here, learned from many amazing people and leaving will be nothing short of difficult. One of said amazing people suggested a while back I journal through this life transition, and coupled with my horrible ability to stay in touch with people I figured I should give blogging a try! I ask for prayers, love and patience (especially while reading my less than eloquent blog) as I learn and grow and fail and succeed.

Dallas here I come….

3 comments: