Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mapping Out Your Route

I am officially in summer mode! Vegging out, reading, hanging out at the beach and being with the family – I could get used to it!

I’ll be “home” in Houston for about 2 months, and in that time my Dad has labeled himself as my project. He wants to get into better shape for the next school year (He is in education) while evaluating if this Dietetic degree of mine is worth anything! We are on day 2 and all is going well so far! I am really excited about the kitchen/cooking time with my Mom, drilling my Dad (and him having to take it!), and the challenge of having a goal that will directly affect each member of my family positively.

Along with my free time I have decided to do some reading. The list of books on my “To Read” list has been growing for the last couple years, but textbooks have had higher priority in my life pre-graduation! One of the first books I picked up was Francis Chan’s newest book, "Forgotten God". Before I started I figured I would flip through his first book, “Crazy Love” and reread through my highlights and side notes. I stumbled upon a quote he included in “Crazy Love” and it has had me thinking lately as I look to make my life’s story relevant.

"Our greatest fear as individuals and as a church should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter."  Tim Kizziar


I think our society praises many different successes that can easily be worthless. My graduation for one. Some teachers wrote some fairly high numbers in red on pieces of paper in my honor to vouch for how much knowledge I have gained. In and of itself, that means nothing. Yet I know that God can take the knowledge I have gained and make it something really wonderful and change lives with it. It is all in how intentional we are living.

I have a lot of dreams, as most of us do. I pray that you and I are in search of these dreams in a way that will “matter”.

2 comments:

  1. I pray your dreams materialise and wish you all the best.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts, Amber. You will be a blessing to your whole family this summer!

    ReplyDelete