Sunday, September 4, 2011

Plan "B"...

Happy Holiday Weekend! Hoping that everyone is enjoying their time off. I don’t get the long weekend unfortunately, but this weekend was a much welcomed break nonetheless. My apartment is starting to feel a little more like "home"...


However I am still very much in transition, one could say, living in a new city, and I’m doing all the necessary purchases of becoming a Floridian. Most notably is how much time (not to mention money!) I have spent insuring myself – renters insurance, car insurance, cell phone insurance, professional insurance, medical insurance, optical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, 401K…the list goes on. It’s amazing how much money we put into peace of mind. I would be terrified to put a calculator to it... Peace of mind might then be out the window.


In a book I’m reading right now, they used a nutrition analogy (which will always have my ears perk up a tad) on the “insurance” of vitamins and oral supplements. As if taking these pills insure our health and therefore excuse the lack of an appropriate diet.

What other aspects of life do we find back up plans for to help us feel a false sense of “safety”?

Not too long ago before moving from Dallas, I was having a conversation with a friend discussing my (at the time not so firm) plans of moving to Florida, not knowing exactly where I was going to live, moving in days before orientation at my new position at the hospital, etc. Other individuals commented on how “brave” (or if they were to truthfully translate - crazy) I was to move somewhere where I knew not a soul. Looking back it now from their perspective, they were probably right. At the time, though, I was so excited about the upcoming opportunities that I was blinded to all the potential mishaps. That same friend made a comment to me that left me dumbfounded and still continues to resonate with me, but she said “Amber, you don’t stress. That is a gift.” I say that not at all to brag or boast, because in all honesty I don’t believe that to be in the least bit true. I find myself concerned and worried about unknowns all too often.

What was my “insurance plan” then? I think it speaks so strongly to the evidence of Christ. I was so completely self-absorbed in my own world to notice it, but the Holy Spirit decided that He didn’t need my cooperation to work through me and for me and (hopefully) for my friend.

What are your inconspicuous insurance plans? Your good deed for the day? Church check list? I hope that I am able to put aside this egocentric mindset and allow my relationship with Him to consciusly be my back up. No place of peace greater than there. Said only because I’ve been there before, not because I am there currently. I am a work in progress! Thank God that He doesn’t need my collaboration to continue to work on me!


1 comment:

  1. Informative blog! it was very useful for me.Thanks for sharing. Do share more ideas regularly.
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete